Saturday, October 23, 2004

Up and down like a roller coaster

Israel is one big roller coaster,

Some days are up, others are down, and some days you have both ups and downs at the same time. The last couple of days have been like that. We have figured out that I am just wiped out from Ulpan, working and taking care of the kids. I have a level of tiredness in my bones that I have not done in the past and that frankly is just not cool.

So taking stock I have got to find an apartment, I have to stop treating it like I am buying and just take a place. We know roughly the neighborhoods we are interested in, and we know what we are willing to pay. The big issue on a house we saw was that it was a one year deal and frankly we have no interest in moving again quickly. We are either going to be here for a while and want to keep a place for at least 2 years. It just sucks to move and I do not want to do it lots.

We went to Ikea to look at stuff for an apartment, and we found that for 2-5,000 NIS we can get most of what we want. Ikea has some amazing dining room tables that fold in 1/2 and sit against the wall, what we are learning is that in a world where there is just less space we have to make do and make things work that in America would not be an issue. We are used to having lots of space and lots of time. The combination of working and going to ulpan on Sunday with Iris working and me trying to get things done in Portland means we just are wiping ourselves out on a regular basis. I am getting up at 6:00 and going to bed at 11:00 with rarely more then 1-2 hours of down time.

One has to question why we are in one of the nicest places in the world, and it seems we just set ourselves up to be really really really busy and it just is not healthy. I need to figure out what our priorities are and deal with them and let the rest of the stuff just go.

I am treading water and frankly I love it here, but some days I just feel like I do not have any space or time left and in the long run I have to find that again or else I am not going to live here long.

Lets see if I can live through 2 months of ulpan and then take some time down.

Benjamin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home